Cookies & Creme Perfection
I made these cupcakes for a friend’s dad who LOVES cookies & creme. They were a huge hit! Although semi-homemade, they certainly don’t disappoint. The Oreo on the bottom is always a great little hidden treat, too. Enjoy!
1 pkg Double Stuf Oreos
1 (18.25 oz) package Devil’s Food cake mix
1 (5.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 c sour cream
1 c vegetable oil
4 eggs (beat the eggs before adding)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 c warm water
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 Tbsp clear vanilla extract
2 lbs confectioners’ sugar, sifted
4-6 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
1 tsp salt
Halves of Oreos remaining from cake above
Mini Oreos as decoration
Making the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Place one half of Oreo (with frosting) on bottom of each liner, frosting side up. Keep the other frosting-free half for later.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs, vanilla and warm water.
- Distribute the batter into muffin liners; about 2/3 full each.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick entered into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tins and allow to fully cool on a wire rack. Once cupcakes are cool, prepare your frosting.
Making the frosting and decorating
- In food processor, blend remaining Oreo halves (without frosting) until fully crushed. You’ll want to discard any large pieces so they don’t get stuck when frosting cupcakes.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue creaming until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk. Blend on low speed until moistened.
- Add crushed Oreos and blend on medium. Add an additional 1 to 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Top each cupcake with frosting. I used Wilton Tip #1M. Then add a mini Oreo for decoration, if you like.
Yields 24 cupcakes